Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Blog # 18

To Be Free

After driving two hours to wilderness,
Sunset strives for one last shine.
And the eyes of the deer
Glow green with understanding.
They shield themselves from more prying eyes,
To hide themselves from me.
We step over the rotted log into the meadow
Where they assume no one will find them.
They stiffen suddenly, unsure of what to do,
Calmed it was nothing they resume.
They graze peacefully together. They are free.
There is no peacefulness like theirs.
At their habitation yet again,
They begin grazing away summer and spring in the last bit of sunlight.
I would like to touch the spotted one,
For it is the smallest one of the herd,
Resembles a baby.
He is gold and brown,
The light reflects the freckles on his back,
His big brown eyes capture mine,
I am lost in another world.
Suddenly I realize
That they are peace, they are free, how can I take it away,
I want to be at peace.





3 comments:

  1. It seems to me that you followed Wright's construction of the poem well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite line would be, "glow green with understanding." Deer are one of my favorite animals, i have a large painting of an elk in my dining room from the late 1800-1900's. They are a majestic creature, so peaceful. I think you have captured that well. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love animals so this is an awesome poem to me.

    ReplyDelete